Dust mites are microscopic creatures that live in beds, blankets, sofas, rugs, stuffed animals, and other places in the home. Dust mites are a major cause of allergy and asthma symptoms. There are many things you can do to get rid of dust mites:
Immunotherapy (allergy shots) can also be very helpful in reducing your allergy symptoms related to mold and/or dust mite exposure.
Pollens from grasses, trees, and weeds are a major cause of allergy symptoms for the seasonal allergy sufferer. Different pollens peak at different times of the year and seasonal allergy symptoms may last for up to 6 months of the year for many people. Typical symptoms include:
Tips to minimize pollen exposure:
Treatment can include minimizing exposure to pollens, taking antihistamines, using nasal sprays or a sinus rinse, and immunotherapy (allergy shots).
Here's a link to check out your local pollenHere's a link to check out your local pollen counts: www.pollen.com
Cats and dogs are a common source of indoor allergens. In addition to allergies resulting from the proteins present in their dander, saliva, oil glands and urine/feces, they can track pollens indoors as well. If you are an allergy sufferer, the most effective solution is to remove the cat or dog from the home. Many people do not want to live without their pets, however, so here are some things that can be done to reduce the amount of exposure:
Immunotherapy (allergy shots) can also be quite helpful in reducing the allergy symptoms you may have from your pet.
A food allergy is an immune system reaction that happens after eating a certain food. Reactions can range from irritating to life threatening. The most common food allergy symptoms include:
A severe allergic reaction is called anaphylaxis, and requires emergency treatment. Symptoms may include:
Treatment involves avoiding the foods that you are allergic to. Antihistamines can be helpful for a mild reaction. It may also be neccessary to carry an Epi-pen with you if your reactions are severe.
Springtime brings all sorts of fun outdoor activities such as picnics, sports, and hiking, but also something else: stinging insects! In our area, that includes yellow jackets, honeybees, wasps, and hornets. Everyone who is stung will react in some way, but up to 5% of the population may experience anaphylaxis from insect stings.Signs of anaphylaxis from a sting:
If you are one of these people, your avoidance of stings needs to be taken very seriously, and immunotherapy (allergy shots) may be helpful to prevent these types of reactions.
Tips for avoiding insect stings: